Sat., Feb. 11
Alcorn State at Mississippi Valley State; 4:00 p.m.
Alabama A&M at Alabama State; 5:00 p.m.
Prairie View A&M at Jackson State; 5:30 p.m.
Texas Southern at Grambling State; 5:30 p.m.
Southern at Arkansas-Pine Bluff; 7:30 p.m.
Mon, Feb. 13
Alcorn State at Arkansas-Pine Bluff; 7:30 p.m.
Prairie View A&M at Grambling State; 7:30 p.m.
Southern at Missisissippi Valley State; 7:30 p.m.
Texas Southern at Jackson State; 7:30 p.m.
Conference news & notes
– Offensively charged. Texas Southern leads the SWAC in scoring offense by averaging 73.1 points per game overall and is ranked second in scoring offense in SWAC only contests as the Tigers have averaged 77.4 points per game against conference opponents. (Mississippi Valley State ranks first in scoring offense against SWAC-only opponents with 77.8 points per game)
– Getting to the line. Texas Southern guard Zach Lofton is among the best nationally at getting to the free throw line. Lofton ranks 10th both in free throw attempts (178) and free throws made (140).
– Staying hot. No team has reeled off more consecutive victories in the conference than Alcorn State. The Braves defeated Jackson State 69-58 this past Saturday and then topped Grambling State 75-65 on Monday to extend their winning streak to six straight.
– Tight race No. 4 through No. 9. The middle pack of teams in the current standings should see starkly different playoff fates over the course of the next four weeks. While Prairie View A&M (5-5 SWAC) is currently occupying the No. 4 seed and the right to potentially host a first round playoff game, there is only a 1.5 games seperation between the Panthers and the next bunch of five teams. The ninth spot would miss the playoffs completely as only the top eight teams will qualify for the Toyota SWAC Basketball Tournament. Grambling State, Jackson State, Alabama State and Arkansas-Pine Bluff are all 5-6 while Mississippi Valley State is still very much in contention with a 4-7 record.
– Not in my house! Southern set a team high for blocks in a single game when the Jaguars swatted 10 of Jackson State’s shots in their 88-75 victory this past Monday night.
Prairie View A&M, Southern and Alcorn State all held a share of the previous best total with nine team blocks in a single game this season.
– Winning the turnover battle. Grambling State leads the conference for having the highest plus turnover margin. The Tigers are plus 3.21 in the category (13.9 for Grambling as opposed to 17.1 for its opponents). Jackson State (+1.96), Texas Southern (+1.35) and Prairie View A&M (+1.12) are the other SWAC schools who hold a plus turnover margin.